Monday, February 10, 2014

Lions!!

I have been feeling very stressed out lately and not like myself but every now and then something happens that makes things better.  Besides spending more time with friends that make me happy, I also stopped to see the Chinese New Year parade yesterday on my way to grabbing lunch.  Parades are one of my favorite things to see.  I have no idea why but, whether it's the Hasty Pudding Parade in Harvard Square or the freezing cold parade at the Carnaval de Quebec, I feel compelled to take a look.

I didn't see a parade in the standard sense, though there might have been one, what I saw was a bunch of little parades, each with pairs of lions. I have to admit ignorance about what they were doing but a little research told me:

"Local businesses leave vegetables and fruit hanging from their doorway to entice the lion. In turn, the lion performs a dance and offers the local business owners good tidings for the New Year."

Other than the vibrant colors and the dances, what was most fun was how happy everyone was.  The little kids were running after the lions, there were firecrackers going off all around, and cabbage flying everywhere.




3 comments:

  1. i don't think i have ever witnessed a live parade.. does the one is disney world count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you've been stressed lately but it's good that there are things that break you out of it. The lion dance is so festive, it's kind hard to not be in a better mood after you watch it :) Good timing on your part!

    So you have given up on series! I don't feel like such quitter now. Choi Jin Hyuk is def. cuter when he smiles but he hasn't done much in EC so far. Did you watch Heirs? How was it? It was so hyped but it seemed kind of juvenile so I passed. That's awful about Creating Destiny. It would annoy me to no end if I was watching it as I bet it must be doing to you.

    Hope your week is off to a good start and that you'll be less stressed. It's still crazy cold in NYC and we're expecting more snow on Thurs. I'm never wishing for snow again.

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the lions brightened up your day. Let's say goodbye to these winter doldrums and bring on the spring weather, shall we?

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...