Tuesday, May 7, 2013

AOL's Offices

I recently started working on an office renovation that promised to be fun and exciting.  Then we got the initial pricing back from the plan where the client got everything they ever dreamed of {I did too}.  Now things have to be chopped in half.  Reality bites.  The funny thing is, the client took it better than I did, though I pretended otherwise until I returned to the office.  In the end, it's my job to give people the feel they want at a price they can afford.  So that is what I will put my ego aside to do.  It really helps that the client is interesting and fun to work with so I know things will work out in the end.

With that out of the way, let's look at offices for companies who have money to spend on design and money to spend on their offices.  Or people who have money to spend on people designing a cheap but nice office {it may not seem like it, but it costs money to design things like this even if the final materials aren't expensive}.

AOL's Palo Alto office {found via Dezeen but from 2001} is one of these offices.  The thing I'm most enamored with are the 'X' lights in the bright colors.  Well, that and the mix of colors and the relaxed industrial vibe.



I would want to hang out in both of the spaces below and work, or read a book.  Not exactly work activities...but fun activities.




{all images via Dezeen.  Office design by Studio O+A.}

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes I don't understand corporate design. I get that you want to create a fun atmosphere, but I think to a certain degree that it still has to be a professional work atmosphere. Comfortable but not distracting.

    7% Solution​

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain! It all makes sense too me now.

      Delete
  2. You may just have to be a little bit more creative than usual. Good thing you're fully competent and able to tackle that challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have a challenge with this project but I'm sure it's nothing you haven't dealt with before and you'll make the client happy in the end. I would love to hang out in those couches with the tall sides.

    So I actually had a dull headache instead of being dizzy for most of yesterday and that was actually kinda nice because it was a different feeling. I started taking ginseng extract this week andI think it's helping. I may try acupuncture next week depending on how I feel. You should do the acutorture if you think you need it. Are you okay btw? We finished FBND last weekend. I liked it. I've heard about Barefoot Friends but have no interest in it. And we started watching Infinity Challenge in addition to Running Man already so I probably won't pick up another variety show right now. Eeks about that giant spider!

    Enjoy your weekend!
    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Budgets stink.
    Honestly, getting any work done would be very difficult. I'd spend all day trying to talk co-workers into taking breaks in different lounge areas with me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the budget. I don't want to go back to work, but if I did, I would love working in a space like that one.

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...