Friday, May 4, 2012

Out And About In Boston

I love the old buildings around downtown Boston.  It's a place I generally avoided before I had to work there but, since I'm never sure what to do with the whole hour I have for lunch, I started wandering around.  When I go with a coworker I try to restrain myself from photographing everything but days I head out alone I don't hold back.



There are so many great details on the older buildings and I'm always curious what is inside, especially what is on the other side of those crazy gothic stairs.  Fortunately, one of the perks of working as an interior designer is that I am able to go into buildings if I am working on a project that requires it.  I was actually able to go into one of the buildings I had photographed though I'll keep which one under wraps.

At one point this week, the phrase "If the dog-sized rats don't charge at us, I'd love to see the dungeon" came out of my mouth.  The dungeon was a huge cavernous space at least 20 feet high that was actually a sub-basement, and I managed to not see a rat.  I did see the dog-sized traps down there.  These rats are apparently a secret legend around the downtown area and I'm pretty sure they were the reason the Starbucks glass food display mysteriously shattered one night though they deny it.  My undergraduate degrees {yes, two} were in animal science and wildlife and fisheries conservation so critters don't generally bother me, just insects.  I'm still glad I didn't see those rats though.

8 comments:

  1. Older architecture is my favourite too. I think for the same reason you mention, great and beautiful details.
    Wowsers- and I thought NYC had big rats!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1st thanks for the comment in my blog... :)
    The details of the buildings are really nice...
    You really need to plan a visit to Europe... we have plenty of adorable old buildings...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. The detailing is just beautiful! Boston has been on my travel bucket list for so long and these photos have just made me realise I need to get there asap! I particularly love the picture of the ornate lantern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post very interesting! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love old buildings.. they have so much character, they tell a story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos. You captured interesting architectural details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ewwwwww rats! I live in a part of town where I don't see rats but in various parts of the city...they're BIG! They're hairy....and I've heard they're really fat :( Anyways, Love the stair steps in the 2nd photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love old buildings. We have a lot over here and I love imagining what is inside the beautiful grand ones! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...