Thursday, March 8, 2012

J. Crew's Botanical Window Display

I've been trying to find better, more interesting windows since at times Boston seems to be an window display desert. On a recent trek around the Back Bay I found an interesting J. Crew window display with handmade botanical prints.


Here is a closeup of my favorite part.  I really enjoy this color combination - purple and green with some acid yellow and black to keep things from becoming too sweet. 


This artwork would be super easy to make yourself.  Just grab some branches or leaves and trace and cut out the outline from colored or construction paper {it can be as nice or as inexpensive as you want it to be} you could even use a patterned paper.  If you look closely, you can see all the leaves were traced as is, neither the leaves or the branches are perfect or symmetrical, the folded bits and imperfections were captured.  I find this to be a nice touch.

There are so many different ways you can do this too.  I took a 2-dimensional drawing class and we traced leaves with a black pen and then filled it in with black gouache making a nice silhouette of the leaves.

Has anyone made their own botanical silhouettes?

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea...I've never made botanical silhouettes...I've never made anything actually hehe! J. Crew has really stepped up their game lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love J.Crew. LOVE window displays. I've never tried it, but yours sounds like a fun project to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i saw it the other day and loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that they chose to use such bright colors for these. It really makes them pop.

    You probably didn't recognize Kim So Yeon cause she had the most awful "poodle rat" hair in Prosecutor Princess but she was great in that drama. She's one of those actresses who just becomes totally immersed in their roles. I guess that's how it with the good ones. Are you still watching Bachelor's Vegetable Store? It's been so crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had the confidence to make my own art, but I have a long empty wall that needs some lovin. Love this idea!
    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...