Friday, March 9, 2012

Botanical Prints at Home

After yesterday's post on J. Crew's botanical artwork, I thought I'd show a few images of the same thing in a residential setting.  Some of you said you didn't think you could do it on your own, if you read on past the first picture, there's something you might like.  I may post a tutorial on how to make some pictures of your own but I recently started working a job where I'm away for over 12 hours a day so free time is a bit scarce these days.

Smaller galleries images are very nice but I liked the impact the three larger prints have in this living room.

Steven Gambrel

If you'd prefer to print rather than purchase or DIY your images there are some free image sources where you would have to invest in the printing yourself but the images themselves are free.  Here are my favorites:

Missouri Botanical Garden's Digital Library has scanned rare botanical books of all types.  You are able to download the books you are interested in as a PDF and you can print what you would like in the size that works for you.  I love the medical texts and the colorful illustrations of the plants with all their parts broken out and think these would be beautiful printed on a high quality matte paper {the colored images remind me of my Audubon's Birds of America book}.  Just be warned that they are good quality scans but some of the pages are crooked and may need to be rotated {I think I rotated a couple before posting them}.



 


Another good resource for not only botanical prints, but many prints in the public domain, is Vintage Printable.  A quick search on the site for botanical returned 26,000 results.  They have not only floral illustrations as the Botanical Garden's library holds, but also some watercolors and floral arrangements.  You may have to play around with the images a bit on this site {the gray picture originally had a black border} but it's up to you to decide what you like and what you don't.  The site was a bit slow to load and use for me but they have so many images it's worth the wait.  They also have many horizontal prints if that is the direction that works for you.




They have a large selection of other categories as well.  I took a look in the Architecture and Landscape section and found a lot of old photos of Manhattan and the two below that I really like.  The first image, with the bathtub stuck in the air shaft, makes me laugh and the second one is beautiful with the lightening over the Eiffel Tower.



The last resource I love is the New York Public Library's Digital Gallery.  Here you can actually order digital files or prints from them or you can download and print yourself if you are using it in your home.  They have tons of botanical prints and I love looking through the vintage poster section.  Best of all, they have penguins.

image via NYPL

I think you can get pretty far with these sites, but does anyone else have any great image resources?

5 comments:

  1. I like the look of botanical prints as a cluster more than individual pieces. It seems to strengthen their visual impact that way.

    I forgot to say this yesterday but your orange trench sounds cute. Being cold not so cute though. I love classic pieces in unexpected colors. And I hear you buying KS pieces on sale :)

    Yep people are always surprised when I unfold my shopping bag too.

    The mom in BVS is like total cray cray! I feel like they've been kinda rushing to wrap it all up. Thanks for sharing that vid. It's adorable! I have such a crush on the actor who plays TaeYang. I hope he'll be in an editorial feature soon haha.

    Happy weekend Jeanine!
    rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Botanical artwork is really great! I love nature and I could see something like this being a great addition to any home.

    When I was a kid, I always imagined my house being like a botanical garden. I always thought that was weird, but maybe it's not. :)

    ~Zabrinah
    [your everyday girl,
    writing about guys]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love old botanical prints, they are always so beautiful. Thank you for sharing all of these wonderful resources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got totally frustrated at Missouri Botanical Garden's Digital Library. How did you ever find pictures of anything? All I find is correspondence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi T, I looked for the largest files to download. Some of them were journals with photos in them. I hope you have better luck the next time you search!

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...