Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Children's Museum Design Closeups

Sometime in the spring, in a moment of weakness, I agreed to go to the Boston Children's Museum on the $1 Friday night they have.  I had seen the newly (kind of) renovated outside but not the inside yet, so curiosity overcame my hesitation.

They have a great staircase in the middle that goes from the first floor to the top floor with a structure kids can climb up and down.  The railing on the staircase is made of cable and I really like the simple attachments.



The first floor is an end grain wood block pattern.  It's not something you see too often, at least around the Boston area but it's one of my favorite types of floors.  I think I remember learning that it is used in some areas of the US as a road surface, does anyone live near one of these roads?


Just a final note to anyone thinking it's a good idea to go to the Children's Museum on the dollar night, don't do it unless you have nerves of steel, pay full price.  I think the whole city of Boston was there as well.

{photos: jeanine}

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...