Sunday, August 23, 2009

Castle Hill, Ipswich, MA

Okay, so I realize this is anything but modern, but I went to Castle Hill on the Crane Estate in Ipswich yesterday and it was absolutely beautiful. It was kind of an accident that I went, but I'm so glad I did. I can't believe I didn't know this place existed. I was lucky to be able to get both a behind-the-scenes tour of the estate and a landscape tour (in exchange for hard labor) both of which I would highly recommend.

The estate is an English style manor built in the early 1900s by architect David Adler (which replaced an earlier Italian Rennaisance Revival mansion). The landscaping is fabulous, most of it designed by the Olmsted Bros. and Arthur Shurcliff.




Here is the former Rose Garden.


The 1/2 mile Grand Allee leading down to the ocean is composed of 3 hills and on a clear day you can see Shoat Island (I think) perfectly centered. Plans are being debated on how to restore this area to it's original state as it's a bit overgrown and the trees are beginning to decline. It's beautiful nonetheless.



There are many smaller buildings on the property that are no less fabulous than the mansion.





(photos: jeanine)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...